Thursday, June 18, 2015

Finding truth and hope in the hate...Emanuel 9

Cleon is a friend of mine. When my friends hurt, I hurt. I was lost and felt helpless when the news hit because I didn't have any words or resources to offer to improve their circumstances right away. But then I was among a circle of love at the feet of Denmark Vesey's memorial in Hampton Park. Let me share this.
To all my colleagues who run community centers, nonprofits, after school programs, second chance programs, camps etc...from me to you:
It is very frustrating when we work daily to uplift our community then 1 act seems to tear it all down and we tend to feel like we are never making any progress. I felt that way last night and this morning until I spoke with some people and helped me see something I couldn't see right away through the anger. Just a little perspective...we are making progress in our commitments. Even in his hateful words, this thug confirmed it by saying  certain words "...I am tired of you Blacks taking over...". By no means do we set out to make anyone feel inferior. In my analysis, people who feel threatened for whatever reason already exaggerate the smallest accomplishments of their "viewed opponent". I am no expert. Just sharing what I have experienced and it is not my intentions to offend anyone.  So to all of us I say continue to do. Keep sharing the resources we offer that makes the difference. It is not self serving to offer information and solutions. Information held hostage in your head is worthless. The lack of knowledge is what keeps people stagnant and complacent. Just be reminded of that when we feel like throwing in the towel. I send you love and blessings as we continue to put 1 foot in front of the other to keep our families moving forward. Praying blessings of comfort for all of the families, friends, coworkers, neighbors of The Emanuel 9 and Charleston SC.
All in love!!
#SmoochesNRedRice

Erica Alcox
CEO/Founder
Geechie Gurl Inc
Generation YEP Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment