Wednesday, May 15, 2013

5 ft of Hootie Hoo!

My blog on this Hootie Hoo Hump Day is dedicated to my aunt Melba who passed away yesterday. This spunky lady stood 5 ft tall, give or take a few inches, and lived her life. SHE invented YOLO! The last time I saw her was when we we were all in Coffeyville, Kansas sitting in the living room of another aunt, her sister, after we had her home-going celebration. She sat  on the end of the couch with her oxygen tank by her side and had the brightest glow on her face as she talked about her adventures from Kansas to New Orleans and beyond as a young woman. She talked about the loves of her life and following her heart. She made note of the disappointments but talked about the lessons she learned as if though they were purple hearts awarded on the battlefield of love and life. She beamed with pride as she talked about nothing holding her back. If she wanted to try something or go somewhere, then that's what she she did. I was mesmerized listening to her. It was a breath of fresh air for me at that time! I was experiencing postpartum depression in addition to other health issues that left me depressed, tired, quiet, and just plain blah. I had lost all hope for myself. What did it for me was when she let a big grin come across her face and said:
       
  "I'm almost 80 years old, been through some things and did alot of moving around. People had their opinions about how I did stuff BUT I have no regrets!"

 If I'd had a microphone, I would've put it in her hands so she could drop it! That's the exact moment everything changed for me.
Within the next year, I changed my mentality completely and turned some things around for myself..including leaving a dead end job to move to Atlanta with my son with no money or vehicle...just our clothes in 2 big trash bags in the back of a friend's car down I-20. Every challenge was going to be an opportunity for living life instead of just existing. I never forgot what she said and how she said it. When you can look over your life and confidently say you have NO REGRETS....that's happiness! I choose to be happy...through success and obstacles...I choose joy!  I am the happiest I've been in a long time simply because I view "what if's" as a huge gift box with a bright red bow! I'm excited to open it and can't wait to see what's inside! Opportunities excite me...possibilities excite me! So Aunt Melba this Hootie Hoo is for you, Pumpkin! While everyone else in this world might stop at talking about what they dream of doing, you were wide awake DOING what you dreamed of doing! Your brother, my daddy, has that same spirit and I'm so grateful it is in me! Hootie Hoooooooo and rest in paradise!

Smooches!

No comments:

Post a Comment