Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday

Wanna know a secret? It's really Friday night...Shhh... Yes I know I know...such a misleading post so early in our relationship! See what had happened was I had the perfect blog ready and when I went to my website hips4love.com, I COULDN'T GET IN!! **sirens and flashing lights* Are you serious? Do you know how many people DEPEND on me to post a blog?? Ok so it's only 2 people! Whatever! This is serious business here! I have thoughts that need to be documented so others may find all of life's answers!! *crickets and tumbleweed* Yall are a tough crowd! smh

Anywho on Thursday, I got a copy of a magazine that had Steve Harvey on the cover. I flipped through it starting from the last page. Yes I like to get to the point lol. Now I will admit there are some things that Mr. Harvey says that I don't agree with as any strong willed outspoken person with an opinion might admit. But the story he tells (and shows) of perservering and buidling a legacy is to be applauded and modeled. He turned down a very nice compensated offer for a radio show to pursue his own! You may have heard of it..The Steve Harvey Morning Show? Ring a bell?

I read through the article and it was pretty much the usual motivational info...get rid of dreamkillers, have a work ethic that is golden, etc etc. What I didn't know was that on the last day he worked his job, he gave his supervisor a business card that had his name and the job title "comedian" on it. He made that card and established what he was going to do specifically. He said he was ridiculed by that same supervisor. Why do people do that???? Why do people feel the need to inject others with their own personal doubt, fear, complacency?? UGGGH!! I hate that! Well he goes on to say that at one point he was sleeping in his car ( another unknown fact) but that one opportunity to tour around the country selling out venues with the Kings of Comedy obviously changed all of that! When he went on stage at a different show to introduce someone who was like a protege, I guess, he pulled out that modest business card and had a moment on stage. How overwhelming it is to look at a symbol of where it all began and be reminded of all that you have put into buidling your legacy? The sleepless nights, the missed meals, the disconnect notices followed by disconnections, the loss of "friends" due to clarity and revelations, the wardrobe changes in the car and gas stations, rolling quarters to put enough gas in that car to get to that function, sitting in your car to use a coffee shop's wi-fi after hours so you can upload and update. Man. *getting a lil emotional right now*

This is my thought. Keep making those payments on that big dream of yours. You stop payment and you lose what you've already invested. Investments are built to pay off at the RIGHT time so hang in there (talking to myself but feel free to be nosey)  I don't know about you, but I'm not in any position to just throw away my time, energy, money, and passion like that. Deposit made.

No comments:

Post a Comment