Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pajamas are the new power suit!

II've been around the world in 24 hours! Ok not the world but I definitely left my footprint on I85. I drove from Charlotte to Atlanta and back to Charlotte in a matter of 23 hours and 46 minutes. In between the round-trip I did a presentation for TruChatOnline.com's "I Love Me" pajama party during Fro Fashion Week (FFW) in Atlanta. *whew that was a mouthful* I had a BLAST! First of all, I feel that pajama pants should be voted as the official article of clothing for all hard workers that DON'T get any sleep. lol This way it seems like we did. *shoulder shrug* Just a thought. 
Anywho I had the opportunity to share my passion for inspiring and training youth on simple strategies to be positive and going after their dreams. I've had my share of sitting in the classroom or at an assembly while my students were bored to death by a presenter or guest speaker that meant well but just didn't deliver the message in a way that captured the students' attention or got them involved so that the message DID stick. Sad but true...so I'm pleased to announce that I haven't lost any "patients" on the operating table! That's what 14+ years as a public school teacher in some of the most challenging schools will do for you...it gives you chops! *blowing on my knuckles*
I got to talk about goals and journaling as well as what to do when dream killers come a-knockin! I was in the zone! Got to meet and bond with Ms. Jess of the Jessicurl hair care line, and The Sistah Chick, and Serial Thinker, and Oh Nikka and BigHairBrwnEyes and Tarin of FFW and of course Julia who is the mastermind behind TruChatOnline.com. Oh and shout out to Julia's mom who was right there supporting HER daughter in her dreams just like mine does for me! Moms rock! *sighing smile* It was just a good ol' fashioned love fest at the Smyrna Community Center! Last night I didn't even understand the magnitude of what happened until I got back here in Charlotte and just sat still. My purpose was to go and talk to almost 50 lil brown gurls about HOW to go after their dreams instead of just SAYING "believe in your dreams".
 I think I had more fun than them! What I didn't realize was 3 things 1) I just connected with major bloggers in Atlanta and THE owner of a major hair care product that crosses ethnic lines. This owner didn't say "if you come to California" but "WHEN you come to California" with the calendar launch parties I have planned for my Knotty Gurl project...HELLO! VISION=OPPORTUNITIES FALLING IN YOUR LAP especially when you are genuinely giving back 2.) A lil gurl RAN up to me after my presentation and presented me with a sticky note that said You are the best! and gave me a huge hug! No explanation needed for how that made me feel. *tear and bottom lip tremble* But the best part of last night 3.) seeing my son Nick in action with the camera and having teachable moments of doing unusual things in order to make your dream happen as well as have experiences you keep with you for a lifetime! He fully understood and was a professional in his responsibilities as videographer and photographer. He's so creative and swift until it's kinda scary, but I love letting him flex his artistic muscles. Of course he likes to flex his future muscles too. I just chuckle and keep hope alive for the bird whose chest he hijacked smh He's a soldier and I'm proud of all that he has endured in his soon to be 7 years of life. 
So my moral of the story: Find out what gives you FREEDOM, make up your mind to do it, and don't look back. When (not if) you get a clue of what your purpose is and how to give back, be fully committed to making it happen. No excuses. I can't do have any excuses because my Great Great Great Grandmother is watching me very closely...that pic from my last blog "Puzzle pieces make me cry" is now my phone wallpaper. I don't have a choice BUT to push forward. Do what's hard while it's easy. I'm actually doing it while it's hard...behind the scenes ain't pretty, but it makes it all the sweeter...and to think, I did all of this in my pajamas! POWERFUL!
Smooches!
Respect the Sway...no matter how young and tiny it is :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment