Thursday, September 13, 2012

Weak in the knees

I FINALLY used my birthday massage gift card today that I got back in March for my 40th this year. After the first 5 minutes, the therapist actually sounded like he was concerned about me "You really needed this". I'm convinced he gave me an upgraded pkg from what I was supposed to have. I was literally weak when he was done and it took me a minute to really get it together good enough to drive. I know when to say when with my drive and ambition, however when you are battling circumstances and the clock, how do you even begin to slow down? With BMW's (not the car) and responsibilities on my mind every second, I feel there is no room for a relax take it easy moment. I don't like that feeling. I hate the fact that nonprofits do some of the most influential work just like all service industry occupations and either can't afford to get therapeutic services like massages and other stress relieving strategies on a regular basis. Not just financially but having the time to do it. I can't help to think about teachers in Chicago. Being a former teacher, I'm so proud of them for standing up for what they and every teacher in this country deserves. Fair pay and respect. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone say teachers should stop whining because we have summers off. Well if that break is not as much of a mental health leave of absence, then why do parents rejoice at the very thought of summer vacation (just 2 months) being over? I mean good grief even commercials show parents' bliss! *insert commercial of father free gliding on shopping cart full of school supplies as "It's the most wonderful time of the year" plays in the background* and these are just THEIR kids!
I pray that one day this country sees the value of our teachers beyond  teacher appreciation week and that week is special only if you're lucky enough to have a working PTA smh There's just something about getting pencils as a teacher appreciation gift. **crickets** True story.
It shouldn't take a strike to get the attention of others. I am just sitting here picturing the domino effect...no teacher..nowhere for kids to go..parent in a state of chaos..local businesses minus employees to operate said business..business loses profit and productivity. Conclusion: Not respecting teachers can lead to this country being brought to it's knees. Dramatic? Maybe...or maybe not... You know what's really ironic? That massage gift card came from 2 of my former students back during the 2009 school year. Thank you Kelly and Wendy for making my career as a public school teacher a very fond memory.
Smooches!
Respect the Sway...and the teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment