Sunday, August 5, 2012

One bad apple

Tomorrow school starts and its the first time in 14 yrs I'm not welcoming new students to my class. Bittersweet because I'm working on my own career of managing a nonprofit as well as a motivational speaker for youth. But the bitter is more like sour because I know of some "teachers" who are setting foot back in the classroom simply for the paycheck. So as to not upset myself too much more, I'm going to put this quite simply for those of you who may think getting your child ready for school is just getting supplies and new clothes.
1. Make your expectations clear to your child AND to the teacher.
2. Get a WRITTEN weekly report which can be email. If you are on FB, you've got an email and Im willing to bet that it comes right to your phone.
3. Schedule your surprise visits privately for the first 2 months. You get different service when slackers see you have your stuff together. Avoid Mondays and Fridays...too obvious. Sad but true.
This just to get you started. Unfortunately, bad teachers make the whole school year look gloomy but establishing very early that you are one of THOSE parents pays off with your high standards being known by the entire school. Trust me...there's nothing wrong with them knowing your name like they already know the days school is out.
I know this isnt your typical feel-good back to achool post but it's the ugly truth. Best wishes to the REAL teachers who teach students and not content. I'll be back to check on ya throughout the school year. Its my turn to play on Words with Friends against a former student I had his 7th grade yr...back in1998. I'm honored to be losing by 10 :-)
Smooches!
Respect the sway!

No comments:

Post a Comment